Friday, July 28, 2006

Traveling home

Spent the last two days in what must be one of the least enjoyable pursuits there is. Sitting in a thin aluminum and composite tube flying from one end of the earth to the other. I used to get excited about flying but been there done that, read the book got the T-Shirt and probable appeared in the film.

About 18 hours in the air broken by a couple of hours changing flights. One of the greater mysteries in life is how airlines know where we are sitting and seek to deliver our baggage in the most irritating manner they can.

Earlier this month I flew home for the first time in about six months. I upgraded to Club so that I could get through as fast as possible. One bag, my golf clubs, was delayed, the other bags with their priority stickers proudly intact were amongst the last moved. This time I was economy and was prepared to wait and what happens, the bags are in the hall before I can get there, and I was not delayed in immigration.

Travelling these periods, when you do three or four long hauls has un unexpected side effect. I after 30 plus years of flying cannot sleep on the big jets, put me on a helicopter or a light aircraft, even a small jet and I sleep very well. but not on the big boys, so I sit there and watch the inflight entertainment but that only updates monthly so if you use the same airline then after two long hauls you have seen pretty much all of it. I have done seven long hauls, flights over 6 hours, this month and there is nothing apart from a few bad films that I have not seen. Result, terminal boredom.

The next person that tells you they got through this much or that much work on a flight, please feel free to shoot them as they are officially out of control. I treat the time on a flight as downtime as no one can contact me unless I want. That bit of provacy is just so hard to achoeve these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home