Saturday, July 22, 2006

And so it goes on

Went and played golf yesterday, it never ceases to amaze me that doing something that simple can crystalize where you are. I guess, in common with other activities, concentrating on one thing helps put the rest into perspective. In the case of golf having your life dominated by a little white ball for a few hours makes other things fall into perspective.

In this case the middle east, my cash flow problems and life generally went sharply out of focus. Wandering around the golf course, a beautiful location if ever there was one, took me back quite a bit.

Let me explain. When I was very young my parents would, on occasion, take us into the hills behind town for a barbeque. We would gather wood and build a fire pit from some stones. We would capture or try to capture fresh water crayfish from the streams. We could pick wild flowers, life was so good and they were very happy days.

The golf course is built where we used to go. Its hard to realize that your children cannot do the same because there are just to many of us now. We cannot pick the wildflowers because we would wipe them out, we cannot build our own fire pits because there just is not the space.

Arriving back to the hotel that I am staying in brings the world crashing back in. People killing each other, I guess they were doing this when I was growing up we just did not have the immediacy that todays media has. We had time to digest, and I guess we were, to degree, subjected to censorship, in that the people who wrote the newspaper stories most probable had their bias. Today we see the bias in all of its ugly forms. Rolling news means that the same story gets drilled into us hourly and so a reporters bias gets thrust at us hourly and so the truth becomes a difficult commodity.

I do not want to rant about the middle east today and as there are a lack of talking heads the blood pressure is down. Its just that I wonder if the constant exposure to close to real time information dulls the senses and leaves us lacking time to develop our own opinions. It can be easier at times to take the view being thrust at us rather than think up our own.

I do not know how we change this but I worry that we sometimes have so many problems in our lives that objectively reviewing an information from outside our daily existence is to much to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home